What do Microsoft, Google, and Tesla have in common?
They’re all incredibly successful companies!
While that’s true, what they really have in common is three incredible personalities as leaders – Bills Gates, Sundar Pichai, and Elon Musk – with exceptional oratory and public speaking skills.
You may have the most brilliant ideas, but if you are unable to express them, there’s no point!
So here are some powerful tips for public speaking:
1. Walk onto stage, give yourself a few seconds to take a deep breath, and then begin. It displays confidence and control.
2. Make eye contact with specific people in the audience one after the other, rather than scanning the room and trying to look at everyone. This makes it seem like a real conversation and creates a deeper connection.
3. If you get nervous, try to speak as slowly as possible. Everyone’s first instinct is to speed up when they’re nervous, but that just puts off the audience. Instead, take a deep breath and speak slowly… it helps to retain their attention.
4. Ignorance is bliss – dismiss the those who seem to be uninterested, bored or frustrated and focus on the positively engaged people in the audience.
5. Don’t forget to thank the audience when you’re done. It is only courteous to do so, showing that you’re grateful to them for hearing you out.
Always remember what Ralph Waldo Emerson once said, “All great speakers were bad speakers at first”.